Aim of the project
To functionalize 'rough' structural steels as direct substrates for Photovoltaic devices to be used as Building Integrated PVs
Scientific and Technical objectives
- To select ‘rough’ and low cost steel substrates suitable for the integration of thin film PV (TFSC) based on amorphous silicon, chalcopyrite and organic technologies.
- To develop intermediate layers (IL) to ensure steel substrates compatibility with the TFSC deposition processes.
- To develop steels back side protective coatings and encapsulation processes.
- To up-scale ILs viable solutions through small demonstrators (30cm x 30cm flat panels, 18cm x 180cm flexible sheets and 30cm wide coils).
- To establish technical and economical viability of the developments.